Is it possible to have authentic Italian goodness, with robust flavors of balsamic, basil & garlic, in one small bite? Absolutely! These little guys pack a punch of flavor. Tapas are typically known for Spanish cuisine, but in this recipe the name captures a bold Italian taste.
This easy, make-ahead recipe combines two recipes with a twist. Seriously, you can make the Tuscan spread days ahead (flavor gets better with time) *and even freeze it.*
The pickled red onion recipe can be made up to a month ahead and gets better with time.
Replace field greens with avocado for richer texture and flavor. The crunch of the baguette and pickled onion contrasts the creamy bean spread and avocado for a perfect blend of YUM.
Final assembly takes only a few minutes. I love recipes that offer a lot of presentation for little amount of work. This one is great for planning ahead or spontaneous cravings. It stands alone as a tasty appetizer as well as compliments a healthy meal.
1 baguette; sliced
1 recipe Tuscan bean salad
1/2 bag mixed field greens; chopped small
1 recipe pickled red onion; diced
1-2 avocados; sliced * optional
- Make the pickled red onion recipe. Let it sit several hours to overnight for full flavor. (Can be make up to a month ahead.) Refrigerate leftovers.
- Slice baguette and lightly toast.
- Make the Tuscan bean salad. Once made, blend it in a food processor until smooth with the consistency of hummus. (Can be made ahead, frozen & thawed.) Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
- Plate baguette slices on serving plate.
- Spoon the bean spread onto baguette slices.
- Place chopped field greens on the spread. *Alternate Option: Replace field greens with slice of avocado.
- Top with diced, drained pickled red onion.