Do you like BBQ dinners but not the heavy feeling after eating them? This BBQ plate fills you up without needing a nap afterwards.
This dish looks as yummy as it tastes, with several flavors going on here.
Red wine vinegar offers a cohesive flavor between the onions, BBQ sauce and the slaw dressing amid the different textures and tastes of this recipe. The crunch of the slaw, pickled onions & pumpkin seeds pairs well with the soft pork. The mixed greens catch the extra BBQ juices and slaw dressing, making it a bonus salad unto itself. The cornbread replaces a traditional bun and has much more flavor (and doesn’t get soggy like a bun). I like to mix everything together (sans the cornbread) so as to get even flavors of everything in each bite. Enjoy a lighter, yet filling, take on this Southern dish!
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4
1# Pulled pork BBQ
2 bags Broccoli slaw (or cabbage slaw)
1, 5oz bag Mixed greens
1c Pickled red onions
1 box Cornbread
3T Red wine vinegar
4T Agave syrup
3T BBQ sauce
1/2t Celery salt
- Whisk together all of the slaw dressing ingredients together and then blend in the bag of broccoli slaw, tossing well to coate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. *OR* Buy slaw dressing in the refrigerated section of salad dressings in the grocery store and add 6T per total jar (adjust amounts depending on your servings size). Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use store-bought cornbread or make with either a BOX MIX or THIS RECIPE (I half the sugar and butter in this recipe).
- Use store-bought pork BBQ or make it fresh with THIS RECIPE.
- Use THIS RECIPE for the pickled red onions. It’s really easy and one batch lasts for an entire month.
- When ready to serve, assemble the salad: greens on the bottom, then slaw, then BBQ, and top with pickled onions. Add cornbread and your all set. Enjoy!