There are a million OREO truffle recipes online. The maddening thing is, they are all the same! That recipe calls for mixing OREO cookies with cream cheese.
The problem is, because the truffles aren’t baked they need to be refrigerated due to the cream cheese.
Our family coordinates a huge bake sale every Christmas. I’ve always wanted to add OREO truffles to the truffle selection we already offer, but I can’t in good conscious offer an item to the general public that needs refrigeration. We don’t want anyone getting sick on our watch. Yikes!
So this year, I tackled making up my own OREO truffle recipe that needs no refrigeration. This is so good (and easy) I wish I had tried it years ago.
I’m posting this recipe for everyone who has also been looking for OREO truffle that doesn’t need refrigeration. I’ve read so many comments and threads stressing concern over the cream cheese, I hope this will be helpful.
I included a photo, but will preface it by saying I literally whipped these together simply as a test recipe. It’s not my best-looking performance, but wow do they taste heavenly!
OREO Truffles, non-refrigerated
1 – 14oz pkg OREO original cookies (I don’t recommend generic brands as they are softer than the OREO brand)
1 can vanilla or cream cheese frosting (Cream cheese-flavored frosting does not actually contain cream cheese so these truffles do not need to be refrigerated.)
2 pkgs marshmallow Candy Melts (If marshmallow melts aren’t available, use “white” melts which are vanilla flavored or almond bark.)
- Crush OREO cookies till pulverized (I use a food processor). Save back about 1/4c.
- In mixing bowl, combine crushed OREO cookies, frosting and vanilla. Mix until blended (I use my hands).
- Shape into balls and place on parchment paper. (No chilling for firmness required!)
- Melt Candy Melts according to directions on the bag, one bag at a time.
- Dip the OREO balls into the melted marshmallow melts.
- Extract them from the melted melts by using a small spoon. The filling gets soft with the hot melts so it slides through a fork.
- Immediately sprinkle a little of the reserved crushed OREO cookies on top of each one as you go before the coating hardens OR using melted chocolate, drizzle on top.