I am SO excited to have our son home from college for Christmas break. With a full house, I wanted to have some homemade meals on hand, but didn’t want to spend a ton of time and energy in the kitchen with all of the other to-do’s on the list this time of year.
Inspired by a lack of time, I decided to make two very different dishes that have overlapping ingredients so I could reduce my work and shopping list.
These two recipes have similar ingredients, but different bases. With that, and switching out a few key ingredients, they have different tastes, textures, temperatures and mealtimes. So we’re getting a TwoFer… two recipes for one trip to the grocery store and one amount of time & effort. Yes!
TwoFer Crustless Quiche & Pasta Salad
1 1/2c milk
2c Taco Bell Ranch Monterey Jack shredded cheese
12oz sweet or white onion; chopped (I use frozen) OR fresh leeks; whites sliced thin; do not use the green stems (freeze them for soup stock)
3-4 slicing tomatoes; sliced thin (Roma, small beefsteak, etc)
16 oz Fusilli (corkscrew), penne OR farfalle (bowtie) pasta
1/2c pine nuts
1 bunch green onions; chopped
2 pints grape OR cherry tomatoes; whole
1T grapeseed or vegetable oil
1lb fresh mozzarella; cubed
5T lemon juice
5T white Balsamic vinegar
4T olive oil
2T sugar or agave
3 cloves garlic
2t dried or fresh basil
Salt & cracked pepper to taste
1 orange pepper; diced
2t grapeseed or vegetable
1 bag fresh baby spinach; chopped
1 1/2c bacon; cooked & crumbled (I buy mine from Costco)
16oz ham; sliced, butcher cut or “off the block” cut
Use two bowls, one for each recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix eggs, milk, cheese, 2t garlic, basil and salt & pepper.
- Saute onion in 1t oil and slowly add to bowl to temper the egg mixture.
- Saute orange pepper in 1t oil and add half of it to quiche.
- Add half of the spinach, bacon and ham and blend well.
- Pour into greased 10×10” casserole dish.
- Slice tomatoes thin and place on top. Slightly press tomatoes into the quiche so the tomatoes stay soft.
- Bake for 25-30 min until cooked through.
- Cook pasta al dente (9-11min) in salted and oiled water (about 1T of vegetable oil).
- While pasta is cooking, make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a container with lid and shake well.
- Drain pasta and pour into bowl and add vinaigrette while pasta is hot; mix well. Vinaigrette will absorb into the pasta as it cools.
- Add 1t garlic, basil, salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Add half of the orange pepper, spinach, bacon and ham.
- Add pine nuts and green onions.
- Saute grape tomatoes in oil until they blister and begin to pop. This greatly increases their flavor. Do not overcook. They should keep their shape as in the photo below.
- Add tomatoes to pasta bowl and gently toss.
- Add mozzarella and gently toss.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Stir before serving.
** You can switch out ingredients based on preference, food allergies and what you have on hand.
Quiche freezes well.